We are pleased to announce the first edition of the AFC Prizes (Prix AFC).
These awards will recognize excellence in cinematography in five different categories. The award ceremony will take place during an exceptional evening during the 2024 Micro Salon.
Submissions are open until October 17, 2023.
The admission period is now extended: all projects released or broadcast from March 2nd, 2022 are now eligible!
If you want to submit a film, please click on the button below.
– Open to all cinematographers regardless of their nationality or membership in any professional associations (for the first 4 awards categories).
– Open to all works, regardless of country of origin, provided they have been screened, aired or streamed in France (cinema, television, streaming service publicly available in France).
- Feature films: theatrical release in France or broadcast on a streaming service in France.
- Series: episodes of a series or mini-series (any season), broadcast on television or a streaming service in France (minimum duration 26mn).
- Documentaries: Documentary features with a theatrical release in France or released on a streaming service in France or on a French television channel, and which have a minimum duration of 60 minutes.
- First or second feature of a cinematographer who is French or is a French tax resident. The work must have been released in the cinema in France or on streaming services in France.
The ceremony will take place during a special evening at the Micro Salon 2024.
Best Feature film
Best Episode of a series or mini-series
Best First or second feature (French cinematographer’s debut).
Rules & Terms:
Kindly read all rules of eligibility below.
Failure to meet any of the above critera & requirements may result in disqualification.
As dates are subject to change, kindly check this page or the AFC’s website on a regular basis.
1- Admission criteria:
- The "AFC Prizes"’s first 4 categories are open to all cinematographers regardless of their nationality or membership in a professional association or guild.
- The "AFC Prizes" are open to all projects, regardless of their country of origin, provided they have been screened or broadcast in France (cinema, television, streaming service publicly available and authorized in France).
- All projects submitted must have been released, aired, streamed or broadcast for the first time within the 18 months prior to the submissions’ opening date.
- Each work must be submitted for the "AFC Prizes" competition by its cinematographer, its director or its producer(s). Either way the producer must give his consent to the submission.
- Features: AAll eligible films with a duration superior to 60mn must have been released in France, and have a distribution number delivered by the CNC, or must have been aired for the first time on a French Pay TV or on a legal streaming service in France. The first release or the first screening or broadcast must have occurred within the 18 months prior to the submissions’ opening date.
- Series: Are eligible episodes (regardless of the season) of running time over 26 minutes that have been aired or streamed for the first time on television or on a legal streaming service in France. The first broadcast must have occurred within the 18 months prior to the submissions’ opening date.
Candidates may submit an episode from a series provided they were the main cinematographer of at least 2 episodes in that season. Each cinematographer may only submit one episode per Series or Mini-Series.
- Motion pictures made for television - TV movies: Eligible works are narratives of running time over 60 minutes which first broadcast occurred on a public-access French television channel (TF1; France Télévisions; Arte; M6; etc.) within the 18 months prior to the submissions’ opening date.
- Documentaries: All eligible films produced in France or abroad with a duration superior to 60mn must have been released in France. The first release or the first screening or broadcast must have occurred in France within the 18 months prior to the submissions’ opening date.
- 1st or 2nd Feature: Eligible films are feature films produced in France or abroad, regardless of their original language, provided it be the first or the second feature film of the cinematographer. Candidate has to be French or a French tax resident. The first release or broadcast must have occurred within the 18 months prior to the submissions’ opening date.
3- Rules for submissions:
- Each candidate must submit a video including one or several clips of his or her choice, for a total of 4 minutes, without altering the original editing of the presented scenes.
Each excerpt must be at least 1 minute.
Original sound accompaniment cannot be modified.
Trailers will be accepted where applicable.
- The video file will need to be uploaded on FilmFreeway. File needs to be in HD and not to exceed 10GB.
- For the "TV Series" category, please indicate which episode from which season you’re submitting.
- English subtitles must be provided if the film is in a foreign language.
- Works must be submitted in their entirety by all candidates nominated for the second round of voting, along with permission by the production.
- Each candidate may only submit one work per category.
- Candidates may only submit a project to a single category.
- 5 frame grabs from the work will be requested if nominated for promotional purposes of the event.
- A headshot will be required shall the candidate be nominated.
- Two rounds of voting will take place for each category: the first round will short-list the nominees; the second will identify the prize winners. Projects will be judged by the AFC’s active and associate members.
- 4 to 6 cinematographers will be nominated in each category. This range is subject to change depending on the number of submissions and the number of votes received (for example in the case of a tie).
The detailed rules and terms can be downloaded on this website.